Sunday, January 24, 2021

Practicing Zero waste religion

Just as Marcus in the "About A Boy" film mentions how his family was going to be a vegetarian as they were running out of sausages, I became interested in Zero waste concept as my family was also poor and I grew up watching my mom practicing zero waste ideals. 

Her favorite hobby was darning my dad's socks, sometimes embroidery on flour bags and turning them to table cloth. We had no dining table. so we spread the table cloth on the floor and sat cross-legged around it. 

She also filled our pillows with old clothes, none of our pillow were filled with cotton. Once we were back to our country, I noticed she and my youngest brother collected dried tree branches for use as fuel in oven for baking bread or in heating oven for warming the house during winter. 

One time, heavy snow caused felling and breaking pine trees, their branches and flowers. My dad, brothers and our neighborhood men went to collect them to use as fuel. 

Now, here I am. Someone sent me some shirts & jeans to do whatever I'd like with them. I don't know anything about tailoring but I always wanted to learn. So I watched some YouTube videos and decided to turn them into a bag, mat, chair pad, & bed sheet. 

Currently working on a quilted bed sheet. I will upload the photos once it's done.

Here's some of my previous projects, all stitched by hand as I don't have any sewing machine:

Chair pad out of old shirts, towel & pillow case

Mat out of old jeans & shirts

Mat out of old jeans & shirts

Tote bag out of old jean

Windmill bag out of jeans & shirts


No comments:

Post a Comment

Invisible god vs visible god

 I always wonder how followers of Abrahamic religions came out with the idea of an "invisible god". This Saturday afternoon lookin...